Whats going on back there?

The intention for this build was to turn an ugly duckling into a classic sports car with a very limited budget. The best way to do this cheaply is to remove the old rubber bumpers and run without them.

Once the bumpers are removed there are several modifications needed to give the rear a pre ’74 look.

c94db723-4233-4de1-a75a-63e61e0f9845_zpsfk1vk1cs

The flat area below the rear lights, which was modified for the rubber bumper models, needed to be returned to chrome bumper spec. As the lower edges of the rear valance and wings were rotten pre’74 repair panels were used.

The lower section of the valance was cut out and the chassis trimmed…

imag1077_zpsf3n2k7du

…to fit the lower section of the new panel.

 

imag1079_zpsxdgvyixt

This took time as I had to weld slowly with a series of tack welds to make sure the panel did not warp with the heat. In retrospect I think I would just replace the whole panel next time.

Anyway I’m happy with the results.

imag1081_zpsqfaesfk7

The other side looks like this.

imag1075_zpsqmjpy9uu

 

Over to the other side…

So, In my experience if one side of the car is rotten then this will probably be mirrored on the other side. A quick check of the A post revealed more corrosion. This was cut out…imag1049_zpscmnxexib

imag1048_1_zpsjvznt9rn

….and the inner structure repaired.

imag1061_zpswhszy2mg

A Metal Folder and shrinker were used to make a repair section from sheet steel. This was painted on the inside before being welded in place.

imag1062_zpsxvnycmp3

imag1063_zpsgjmxhlsc

Further towards the back of the car more corrosion was found. Guess what? This was cut out and replaced with new metal.imag1055_zpslw1bu6nlimag1058_zpsa8wcemwqimag1059_zpsljbt8fxd

I noticed this ‘old school repair which made me laugh. It seems to be a plate bolted and riveted ¬†on to the front wheel arch then blathered with thick camouflaging underseal. imag1054_zps0jmzlid7

I will investigate this next time.

 

A Post and front end repairs.

No matter how I tried I could not get the front wing to line up with the A post. I had a genuine wing which came with the car. I compared this to the wing on the car and it became apparent that the wing was at fault. The wing was removed. This showed that further repairs were needed to the A pillar.

imag0315_zpsitblvqp0-1

The rot was cut out…

imag0316_zps8fokeyc9_edit_1478366537821_zpsezimsqgk

…and the inner structure repaired.

imag0317_zpskdzr57op

I then fabricated a new repair skin from sheet steel. I used a Shrinker to get the curve at the top of the pillar. This was made to follow the curve of the wing.

imag0318_zpsp3mq6q4p

imag0322_zpsfylfchcq

A small repair section was tacked then seam welded in above.

imag0320_zpsuv9zxdz4-1

This was all then ground back ready for a final skim of filler.

imag0321_zpsfcnn3jbk

When the wing came off I could see that the front wheel arch was a bit frilly so the rot was cut out and new metal let in.

 

I seam seal all repairs with polyurethane sealant. I find this so much better than old fashioned brushable seam sealer. You can paint over it too.

 

So after completing the under wing rust repairs on one side, I removed the other wing.

At a glance the A pillar looks in better shape with less corrosion but this will require further investigation. The wheel arch was worse on this side with fibre glass matting being the repair material of choice.

This was cut out and replaced.

imag0332_zps5lsupf1k

This was an easy repair as all the sections were flat.

imag0335_zps9ljipuqp

Next I will be investigating the A pillar before moving around to the back of the car where extensive repairs need to be done.