No matter how I tried I could not get the front wing to line up with the A post. I had a genuine wing which came with the car. I compared this to the wing on the car and it became apparent that the wing was at fault. The wing was removed. This showed that further repairs were needed to the A pillar.
The rot was cut out…
…and the inner structure repaired.
I then fabricated a new repair skin from sheet steel. I used a Shrinker to get the curve at the top of the pillar. This was made to follow the curve of the wing.
A small repair section was tacked then seam welded in above.
This was all then ground back ready for a final skim of filler.
When the wing came off I could see that the front wheel arch was a bit frilly so the rot was cut out and new metal let in.
I seam seal all repairs with polyurethane sealant. I find this so much better than old fashioned brushable seam sealer. You can paint over it too.
So after completing the under wing rust repairs on one side, I removed the other wing.
At a glance the A pillar looks in better shape with less corrosion but this will require further investigation. The wheel arch was worse on this side with fibre glass matting being the repair material of choice.
This was cut out and replaced.
This was an easy repair as all the sections were flat.
Next I will be investigating the A pillar before moving around to the back of the car where extensive repairs need to be done.