Primer coat at last…

So finally after several weeks of welding, panel beating filling and sanding the Midget was ready for it’s first couple of coats of primer.

wp-1488122275444.jpg

The primer used was two pack Epoxy primer. Two coats were applied.

wp-1488122266613.jpg

The primer was applied on Friday and was ready for initial flatting on Sunday.

wp-1488122283357.jpg

Over all I was pleased with the result. A few issues became apparent now the car was one uniform colour. This revealed a couple of low spots but nothing a skim of knifing putty and 320 grit in a block couldn’t solve.

A guide coat was applied to show any low spots.

wp-1488122324357.jpg

wp-1488122296879.jpg

wp-1488122303764.jpg

I have managed to flat one side of the car today and hopefully with a bit of help flat the rest tomorrow. After this I will apply several more coats of the primer and do a final flatting hopefully next weekend.

The owner came around and brought the grill he wants to fit. It is an original Austin Healey Sprite item for a pre ’70 car. I think this is a great choice and ,in my opinion, is the most attractive of all the grills.

wp-1488122318708.jpg

Little by little

Not a massive amount to report this post, I managed to source some nice front indicator lights. I decided to get these with a clear lens and use an orange bulb or LED. If I decide  to go the LED route I will have to change the flasher unit which is not much of a problem.

The lights are similar to early Morris Minor units and are flatter in profile than the similar Land Rover type. One problem with them is they have 2 contacts inside so I will have to bridge them together with a soldered strip of copper to make then fit a single contact indicator bulb.

wp-1486909538647.jpg

I smoothed off the back side and it is as smooth as a babys bum. In fact it is as smooth as a Midgets bum. mmm…

wp-1486909547930.jpg

The left hand side of the car is now getting there and soon I will be hand blocking the whole car ready for primer.

wp-1486909556135.jpg

Just need the weather to change as it is wet and snowing outside.

Panel gaps and leveling

The panel gaps on the Midget were pretty bad. The right hand A post had a gap that got bigger towards the bottom. instead of relying on filler I welded a short length of 3mm steel rod to it to build up the edge.

wp-1485092967376.jpg

This was then ground back…wp-1485092979947.jpg

…and filled. The whole area then had a light skim of filler to get the all the panels the correct level and straight.

wp-1486226624179.jpg

When the rubber bumpers are removed there is a large hole were the indicator needs to be. This is not on the earlier midgets so needs to be filled in.

wp-1486226640631.jpg

A piece of steel is shaped to fit…

wp-1486226651904.jpg

…welded in and ground back. This is welded slightly back from the front surface so filler can be used for final profiling.

wp-1486226684225.jpg

The same was done on the other side.

wp-1486226714410.jpg

Filler was used to smooth out the contours and a location hole measured out for the front indicators.

wp-1486226723435.jpg

More sanding and profiling of filler was used to cover the repair work on the other side of the car…

wp-1486226735779.jpg

…and attention given to the door gaps and levelness of the panels.

wp-1486226741014.jpgwp-1486306324637.jpg

I find this work tedious but satisfying at the same time. Hopefully the first few coats of epoxy primer will be going on in a couple of weeks.