Vauxhall Viva rear drums

I have managed to re-engineer some brake drums to make them fit the small engined Vivas with 8 inch rear brakes. These have been unavailable for a while.

They are the correct diameter and PCD. They take quite a lot of machining time and this is reflected in the price of £85 +p&p a pair.


Let me know what you think.

Thanks Chris .

Redhouse classics

Hi all,

This is a blog to document my on going interest in restoring classic vehicles and old machinery in general. I work full time so the projects are done in my spare time.


I started working in cars around thirty years ago through necessity (poverty!) but soon realised I really enjoyed it. Now it has become hobby and has started to include restoration/ engineering  jobs for family, friends and colleagues.

Past projects include the restoration/modification of a Vauxhall Magnum Coupe. This was fitted with a Rover 3.9 v8 (Buick 215 overbored). Extensive mods were done to the drive train including a 5 link Salisbury 4HA axle, disc brakes all round vented 4 pots at the front. 8d7a29b1-05ba-4a75-b040-ebc68a9a10ee_zps8bf2beeb


I still have this car and intend to do further work on it when I’m not so busy…


Another project from a few years ago was the resto mod of a Lambretta GP150. This was a friends from work and was an indian import complete with big box rack welded to the rear bodywork. It had had a hard life and the frame and metal work was cracked and dented. Unfortunately I have no pictures of it in this state but here are a few of the restoration.

The body and tinware were straightened and sprayed.

The engine was rebuilt with a RB20 AF Rayspeed kit and Dellorto carb.



Hydraulic brakes ..



I have recently completed restoring a basket case Firenza with my son Joe as a father and son project.img_1166-20141212-161711583_zpszdtijsmm

As you can see the car was pretty rough and had been pretty much stripped down. Most of the parts were present but in boxes.

Better get welding then…imag0014_zps29zsfylk

Floor before and after.


rear valance

The car came with a few bits if panels which had been cut from other vehicles. Very handy.


Inner and outer sills done on both sides.

Joe helped with the engine freshen up.

After much prep the paint went on. imag0598_zpszlymdnpd

Then we could start reassembly. The headlining went well.


The Firenza was finished in July 2016  and has been used this summer.  This was 18 months after we started. Joe has just turned 16  and now has a car ready for when he passes his test hopefully next year.